I like this Chillwave song and maybe you like it to?



Chillwave. What the fuck is it? A genre, a sub-genre, some awesomely named Mexican kid? Or is it just one of those little indie-specific-uber-crazes that lasts approximately one year and probably began with a combination of some asshole journalist and Neon Indian's song "Terminally Chill"?

I really don't know and you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but I think it's a shit name and it makes very little sense when you listen to all the bands that are generally lumped into the Chillwave category (Washed Out, Memory Casettes, Neon Indian, Nite Jewel, Teengirl Fantasy, Nosaj Thing, Gold Panda, blah blah blah). The only thing that seems to unite them is that they generally have two words in their name that when placed together amount to something that sounds "cool" and means absolutely nothing (kind of like a band name version of a Guy Ritchie film).

Are Fuck Buttons Chillwave? If not, they should be, because that name has perfect Chillwave credentials. Anyway, what I've been meaning to get at is that while I think I hate Chillwave as a whole and I hope it dies in the ass (or maybe I'm just jealous that I wasn't that asshole journalist?), I also happen to like a lot of the bands that are touted as purveyors of Chillwave. An example is the song above. It's by Toro Y Moi (still two words...almost) and it's called "Blessa" and I like it. 

1 comment: